Tuesday, January 17

S is for Success

Raspberry Macaron
Not a perfect success, but I'll take it. Since my failed attempt at making macarons I've made 2 more batches (using this tute.) Both of which resulted in something very much like a macaron. Yipeee! I piped the cookies a bit too large and over cooked the second batch, but other that, people I'm making macarons.
meringue
My hunch is that aging the egg whites (leaving them out for 1-2days) is what made the difference. In the class I took we were told that the eggs should be room temp. I even asked about aging the egg whites to which the chef replied, no need. Perhaps she is right. But I believe it was the aging that lead to my success.
macarons
The other truth that became clear to me is that you really need to have the proper equipment to make macarons - a digital scale, a fine sifter, a piping bag and the proper tip. I also think a stand mixer would be a huge help too. I have a hand mixer. All this makes a difference.
macarons in the oven
I've since become macaron obsessed! I've read about it happening to many a blogger. It is not about eating them. It really is about making. Perfectly and with ease. I can hardly wait to try again. I'll roll my sleeves up again just as soon as my piping bag, #12 tip, and supply of powder food dye arrives. It is all about the proper equipment.
Raspberry Macaron
One question I still have about macarons is how to tell when they are done. Anyone know?
Raspberry Macarons

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

They look perfect! And delicious. I know nothing about making them, but I do have to tell you that your endeavor inspired me, not to try to make some (ha, ha), but to stop by Laduree for a couple of caramel macarons. I swear, yours look just as pretty.

Kitten's Lost Her Mittens said...

I'm so impressed! I really want to make macarons, but I'm intimidated by the process. I even have a cookbook devoted entirely to macarons. I'll have to make sure I have all the right equipment, and then give it a try. Yours look beautiful!
x Katherine

Haute Goat Cashmere said...

YAY for successes! I've been making macarons too - I'm about 50/50 with success. What I've heard is that when the cookie easily releases from the cookie sheet is when it is done. So far, I test them but giving them a gentle twist, if they don't stick, I call it good. I have to say though, this won't tell you when they are baked too far - for that I've gone by color :(

Also, I've made meringues for years (my mom taught me when I was a kid) and I still refrigerate my stainless steel bowl and egg whites until ready to whip - even for macarons. So far, it's worked fine. I'm wondering if the room temp. eggs is just to get them to whip properly with a room temp bowl, or if there is something else to it? And I've never heard of aging the egg whites - gotta find out why...

likeschocolate said...

I wish I didn't live so far away because I could come over and help you eat all those macarcoons. COngratulations!

Dana said...

Wow.
That's it.
Wow.

This Girl loves to Talk said...

well if its not about the eating... I wish I lived closer... australia not to far to send in the mail??

christie said...

Do they freeze? i will be back in May.

Unknown said...

Just made these using the recipe you linked to and OMG!!! they are awesomeness!! Never have tried them before but after reading about them on your blog over and over again I just had to try them :) Thank you so much for the link!!

Little Wonders' Days said...

They look so nice! Great job.

Valerie said...

Shared your blog with my students today! For our 'recette' theme two students made raspberry /chocolate macarons. Had a fun talk on macarons and showed your wonderful attempts and final success...just illustrates how difficult they are and the art & finesse of French baking....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...