Tuesday, November 1

Lazy Baking

NY Times article
Have you ever seen a recipe that you wanted to make immediately? Well, I know I certainly have and it happened to me again last weekend (um, 2 weekends ago now.)  The timing couldn't have been more perfect as Bryce and I were sans kiddo so I was able to indulge this whim before it passed. 

Apples for pie
The recipe was for salted caramel apple pie.  You heard me.  I saw it in a NY Times Sunday magazine.  The recipe was created by 2 sisters who opened a pie shop in Brooklyn - Four & Twenty Blackbirds. Could it get any cooler than that?  Really, I'm dying over here.
Salted Caramel Apple Pie
The whole leisurely process of putting it together was as decadent as the recipe itself.  The kitchen to myself, a beautiful new kitchen at that, music in the background.  Ah, heaven.  Alas, this story turned out to be more about the process than the product.  I didn't bake the pie long enough and the apples ended up rubbery.  Rubbery and under done.  If I hadn't enjoyed the process so much I would have felt terribly disappointed.  

Salted Caramel Apple PIe
But it's okay.  I'm already fantasizing about making it again.  This time I'm going to try something different with the caramel.  And bake it longer.


6 comments:

likeschocolate said...

I have wanted to make this pie too, but first I have to make the brown butter pumpkin cupcakes I saw on another blog.

katy said...

likes chocolate - please leave a link to those cupcakes! I love anything pumpkin or butter for that matter :)

This Girl loves to Talk said...

I get a lot of apples in a wholesale market run I do with some ladies and I often make stewed apples.. maybe try cooking the apple slices a little in small amount of water and maybe a little sugar and then transfer them into the pie.. nothing like rubbery apples.. but that PIE LOOKS DIVINE!

Annabel, Mikko, Marcelle and Eric said...

I know the feeling too...I saw an apple pie recipe with cheddar crust that both my husband and I felt compelled to make! It turned into a beautiful thing so we were happily enjoying that for days to come...Not to mention that we were lucky enough to find real English cheddar to boot!

PS. We have finally found out where we are moving to next...Food is really going to be a problem, we go to Paris!

Dana said...

Oh no!
I do understand the concept of process of product quiet well, though.Try teaching the research process to a group of ninth graders . . . the products are always a mess! Ah, but the process. . . golden.
D

christie said...

Apple Pie is the best pie in the world. thin or grated
apples is my secret and never will i do chunky.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...